Monday, March 14, 2011

On Being A Mom in Medical School: Pediatrics

I began this semester with 8 weeks on peds.  I had been looking forward to this rotation, thinking this might be an alternative to my love for ob/gyn.  The rotation is broken into 2 sections - 4 weeks outpt, 4 weeks inpatient.  I started on outpatient.  I had 2 weeks of various clinics - allergy clinic, cardiology clinic ect...  I really enjoyed this part!  You get to see so many things you learn about and it's really cool!  Then there's a week of general clinic - a pediatrician's office.  This was pretty fun too.  And, I think this is when being a mom gives you an edge up.  There's a comfortableness talking to other parents.  You don't have to read about milestones of a 6 month old.  And asking about what an infant is eating makes sense - I know what 24 oz means, 5 bottles a day/breastfeeding every 3 hrs for 15 min means something to me.  You can look at kids and know if they're growing, or small v. large for their age.  You can counsel the parents on illness - afterall, it wasn't that long ago that someone spoke those words to me!  Even better, the hours!!!  Clinic hours - 8a to 5p, no weekends!!!  Then we spend one week on on Newborn nursery.  There is nothing like catching babies!!!!  The catch for me though - did you know to be a neonatologist is 3 years of peds residency + 3 year fellowship?!??!
Next up was a month of inpatient.  Hours still better than last semester, earlier in the morning, with one weekend day, but better than last semester.  This would be the real test.  My first 2 weeks were spent on Hematology/Oncology.  I did enjoy my time on the service.  I learned a lot about cancers and blood disorders, and saw everything from new diagnosis of cancer, to the end of a battle with cancer.  However, I am not sure my mind would ever let me fully process what was going on - the medicine part yes, the life issue, no.  I have a lot of respect for pediatric oncologists.  What work they do.  I understand some of their grumpiness.  Then was 2 weeks of general peds/neuro inpatient.  This put my children's illness' into perspective.  I understand now when the pedi sends us home from the clinic with instructions of symptomatic treatment of Tylenol and ibuprofen.  Their cough sounds horrible - but they're still breathing and it'll get better.  I can only imagine the stress of having a child in the hospital.  I understand the need of providing for your children, and how hard it is to care for your sick child and provide for their needs at the same time.
In my opinion, the pediatric residency does have better hours, I would describe it as a more cush.  However, being a mom, I feel emotionally split when inserting myself into these situations with sick children.  My mom side is saddened, and my student doctor side is intrigued and wants to help.  In the end, I feel my mom intuition taking over too much, and I just can't do sick kids.  That being said, I think I'm sticking with ob/gyn, and hugging my kids a little tighter every day.
Oh, plus, this peds + internal medicine rotations are adding to my waist line!!!!  I was doing so well last semester, and this feeding us and time to eat is killing me!

No comments:

href="http://lilypie.com">Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker

My Family from WiddlyTinks.com