As a first time Mama, I anxiously awaited every new phase - the crawling, the first steps, the first words. And I often awaited phases thinking it would make life "easier." If only they could walk so I didn't have to carry, talk so I knew what they wanted... But many days it doesn't seem like the "easier" has arrived. It's only harder to contain them, those words tend to be "more juice, I want that" and not "I love you mommy." And often I look back on the newborn days and think - but they napped so much, and they stayed where you put them... Fortunately I enjoyed a few days with this 18 month old cutie to remind me - maybe some things are easier!
Vanessa is a fellow mom in med school, one of my great friend's, little girl. And she is an amazing little girl! But, I had forgotten how close you have to watch those little toddlers! The child proofing, choke proofing for the 3 year olds does not compare to the 18 month old. I felt myself following her around most of the day - where as I know the 3 year olds will holler for help (from another room) if they need the slightest thing. And the 3 little steps that have become a great play area for the girls - beyond hazardous for little 'Nessa (I forgot how they were completely blocked off with books until this past winter!). I had completely forgotten how you have to completely visualize that age group every waking second, while the girls you have to know what they are doing, but you can blink... So now when I think about how many naps a newborn gets, I'll try to remember it really was hard getting up every 2-3 hours, even though my mind blocks those memories out!
No comments:
Post a Comment