Sunday, April 26, 2009

4 Week Update

Matilda (left) & Madelynn (right)


As you can see, the girls are growing fast! Madelynn is completely out of the sleeper premie clothes. Matilda is wearing them tonight for probably the last time :-( The premie onsies still fit, but we have more or less moved into the newborn sized clothes. I am waiting for them to be out of the Newborn diapers (up to 10 pounds) since we can tons of the size 1 diapers (8 - 14 pounds) and we have to keep buying the Newborn size. The girls sleep in their own cribs for the most part at night and do pretty well. The girls have a strong sucking drive, and we probably started a bad habit with pacifiers - occasionally we'll have an issue where it'll slip out as they drift off to sleep, waking them up, and they'll start crying for you to come and put the passie back in. This can go on for a while, with the girls alternating who is spitting it out! But, the passie really helps satisfy their drive to suck, and when they're actually hungry, they won't take the pacifier. They also spend a lot of time sticking their hands in their mouths (or each others'!)
The girls have started staying awake more! While we have them on the same eating schedule, they tend to alternate who is awake during the day and early evening (they do well sleeping at night). Typically, they have a late feeding somewhere in the midnight hour, then somewhere between 3-4 am and again around 6-7 am. We have had a couple of nights where they will actually sleep from the 12ish feeding to their 6ish feeding! We consider ourselves very lucky!

Madelynn (purple) & Matilda enjoying morning snuggle time with Mom! My favorite time in the day.

The girls have begun playing and it is so much fun to actually watch them learn! They love their play mat! They look at everything and play with each other. They love the lights on the side, the different feelings on the mat and the animals that hang down. I have found that they sleep a lot better later if they have their play time. The video below shows the girls trying to get each others fists to suck on, it was really cute. Oh, Matilda actually rolled over for the first time on Friday. She was on her tummy and next thing I know, she flipped to her back! I read a thing saying that babies motor skills are delayed because it is recommended that they sleep on their backs, where as they used to recommend them sleeping on their stomachs, so you are suppose to give them plenty of supervised tummy time. Of course, we think the girls are way advanced, but they lift their heads up and their feet and show amazing strength during this activity.

Madelynn (purple) and Matilda playing with each other on the couch

On the Mat:


Josh and I enjoyed our first social event since welcoming the girls - The Cadaver Ball to celebrate the end of Gross Anatomy. I made it! I am pretty sure I will not have to repeat this class - final grades still pending! First we went to dinner (sushi) and then off to the ball. The Friday we have a memorial service to honor those who donated their bodies to help in our journey to be the best doctors we can be. I can honestly say that I learned a lot during Gross Anatomy (despite the hazmat suit!). They say the best way to learn is by doing. I cannot thank them enough!



Oh, as I posted last time that Josh and I began walking around the neighborhood with the girls, we decided to kick it up a notch and begin to jog! I have got to get out of these maternity clothes, and I don't want to do it by buying bigger clothes! So, here is my post baby belly pic # 1, 4 weeks post twins! Josh and I ran 1 1/2 miles last Tuesday and Thursday and plan on continuing this week. I must say it was a little more painful than I anticipated - mostly in my knees. The picture is small on purpose - a, it's a bad outfit, I am not sure why I chose to use this for my starting photo (I would like to think it exaggerates my post twins flabbiness...), b, I have a ways to go before I resemble myself last April, even more April 2 years ago. My goal is a good 20 pounds, and to run in the firecracker 5 k in July! We'll see!

No comments:

href="http://lilypie.com">Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker

My Family from WiddlyTinks.com