
The next day, they seemed okay, so I sent them onto school. A little after noon, I was called that Matilda was running a fever and they had been exposed to RSV. I already knew they had a pretty ugly cough and runny nose, so off to the doctor. At the doctor, they notice that Matilda had an ear infection, and Madelynn looked like she just had cold. So, we got antibiotics for Matilda and headed home. We were out the entire week. The antibiotics seemed to help Matilda quite a bit! They never really returned to 100 percent, but the fevers subsided, and it sounded like the cough was getting better. On Saturday, Madelynn's fever went up, so I took her back to the MD, and she said she now had an ear infection, so she received antibiotics. Monday, I sent both girlies back to school, with a prayer that we would make it through the week as I had a test on Thursday.
Well, as I was packing up my stuff to go get the girls on Monday, I received a call that Matilda had a 103 degree fever. I called the doctor to see if they wanted me to bring her in, and since she was already on antibiotics, they did. So, for the third time in less than a week, we visited the clinic. The drew some blood, her white blood cells were elevated, so something was going on, they weren't sure what. So she got a double dose of antibiotic injections and they switched her antibiotics.
Tuesday she slept until about 2, then she woke and was like superwoman! I thought we had gotten over it. Josh was home with them that evening as I went to study. When I returned around midnight, he was still up with them and said Matilda felt warm. So, I slept with her on the couch. Around 4 am, she was really fussy, and I could feel that she was roasting, so I took her temp, now 104. Back to the doctor we went.
At the doctors, they thought it probably was something viral, but were concerned that it could also be a super bug. So, they started with a chest xray. The xray looked okay so the doctor wanted to search a little bit before sending us home, which meant a urine screen (via a catheter) and she felt she was dehydrated and needed fluids. Urine screen was clean, and she felt like a spinal tap for meningitis, just to make sure, and then she would send us home to return tomorrow to check up. She thought it would probably be negative, but she really didn't want to send us home if there was even a 1/1000 chance that was the case. So, then she came back in, and said there were a few white blood cells (which is what they look for) in the spinal fluid, along with some red blood cells, which probably meant they nicked an vein, but she couldn't rule out meningitis. Mean while, Matilda's fever was going back to 103 as the motrin and tylenol were wearing off, and she basically had slept in my arms all day. She said she felt more comfortable admitting her, just to make sure she doesn't get worse and she could give her iv antibiotics to cover meningitis, but seeing as I was a med student with an exam the next day, she would be willing to let her go, if we watched her closely and had an appointment first thing in the morning. I really didn't want to take the risk, so they admitted her.
By that evening, her fever broke. The final read of the chest x ray came back, and there was some viral pneumonia. Every other test came back negative. They were going to keep her one more night, but since we had a flight planned for tonight to visit my family in Los Angles, they thought she looked like it wasn't a super bug, so they'd let us go.
Sadly, during those pictures, we thought she looked so much "better," now I realize just how bad she felt.
They think it was just a string of bad luck with virus and virus, ear infections and a slight case of viral pneumonia. They'll not really sure because she was only a multitude of antibiotics. She's doing a lot better now, it's nice to see all the smiles! She has turned into a Mama's girl and is a lot more clingy. Can't say I blame her.
Oh yeah, she left the hospital with conjunctivitis (pink eye) and a mean diaper rash (usual for antibiotics). Poor baby!
No comments:
Post a Comment