Wednesday, January 26, 2011

My Movers and Shakers - Goodbye Crib

When people ask me what the girls are like, I like to describe them as "movers."  It always sounds like there are 2 categories:  the early talkers v. the early walkers.  I like to call the later the movers category - the ones that won't sit on you lap, that figure out how to push things together to climb higher, and are perhaps a little more "spirited." The girls won't tell you they want milk, but they'll try to open the frig, or find a way to reach the counter to get a cup.  So, I guess I shouldn't have been surprised that the girls would conquer the cribs before the age of 2.

Our adventure in toddler beds began somewhat over Christmas break - when my cousin Kayla awoke with a hand in her face.  Yep, Matilda learned how to climb out of a pack-n-play.  We weren't home more than a couple days before she mastered climbing out of her crib, on the lowest setting.  So, since the crib wasn't keeping her in, I didn't want to risk the chance of her hurting herself - thus we made the decision to take one side off the cribs and add a side rail.  By nap time day 2, just when I thought they had gone to sleep, I heard a knob jiggling, and the adventure in toddler beds got interesting.  


The girls LOVE their toddler beds!  They think it's so cool to switch beds!  And, often you'll hear them laughing and walk in to find them snuggling in Madelynn's bed.  If they're up playing while it's nap time and you open their door, they'll jet back into their beds - they know they are suppose to be sleeping!

The down side - it's one more tool they can use to fight sleeping.  If it's 4 am and they think it's time to get up, it's harder to get them back to sleep when they can get out of their bed!!!  However, the bonus - sometimes they get up and play in their room by themselves for quite a while before trying to wake Josh and I up.  All in all, I kind of like the toddler beds, but...

I can't believe I don't have cribs any more - what happened?!?!  I'm not ready to be a mom of toddlers - I haven't been a mom long enough - so take it easy on me ladies, I'm new at this!

No comments:

href="http://lilypie.com">Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker

My Family from WiddlyTinks.com