I love doctor visits! This one was important for Josh and I - we couldn't wait to see that both babies were doing well and confirm that we will be having twins. The doctor's office got us in right away, checked my weight (up 1/2 a pound in the last month) and did a urine sample. Next, I had to do a glucose tolerance test and the lab was backed up, so we got very behind!
What is a glucose tolerance test? Well, you fast for at least 8 hours, and then drink a sugary concoction. After an hour, they draw blood to see how high your sugar levels are. If they are too high, it means your body is not absorbing sugar like it should and you have gestational diabetes. Fortunately, I was able to hold down the mixture long enough to have my blood drawn - but not past lunch...
Finally the best part - I got to see my doctor and the babies! She did an ultrasound and there they were - A and B!!!!! B, the baby in the penthouse, has moving around a bunch and the heartbeat looked good. He/She even looked to be kicking baby A!!! Then a little below was A - a little more calm, but generous enough to give us a little wave! All five fingers were there! Then baby A rolled over, so cute! Looks like they already have their little personalities. They looked about the same size. The doctor seemed excited to see both of them moving and with heartbeats - I think she was as worried going into the appointment as us. Needless to say, Josh and I were elated!
I thought before that they were fraternal because they are in two different amniotic sacs. But no! They share a placenta, so identical it is! Having twins is rare, but identical is even more rare. This means either 2 boys or 2 girls. It was a little early to tell the sex. We go back on Nov. 17th to find out the sexes. Can't wait!
As Josh put it - now we can start getting all the twin stuff! Onto the double stroller hunt!
3 comments:
I love that you are blogging! I can't believe identical!! I put you guys on our blog. www.inselladventures@blogspot.com Congrats! Tell Josh I said hello!
www.inselladventures.blogspot.com
Sorry got it wrong!
Congrats to the two of you or should I say to the 4 of you!! Love the blog. Almost as good as being there.
Aunt Janice
Post a Comment