Thursday, March 26, 2009

Overall Updates - Why are we here and when do we get to go home

So this is what I ask the doctors every time they come around - what all do we need to do to go home! The answer has remained about the same and is fairly simple; the girls need to be feeding, get off their IVs and their bilirubin levels need to remain low (no jaundice). We are starting to get close.
Feedings and IV progress:
Initially I was trying to exclusively breast feed both of them. Well, no one told mother nature that your milk should come in with the babies, not a few days after! We finally were able to get the girls to latch on, but they didn't always want, or stay awake for a good feeding. Plus, they aren't getting milk yet from me. So, they were on an IV to stay hydrated. Last night, they had to replace IVs on both girls - and then again on Madelynn this morning. There is nothing like replacing IV's on your 4-5 pound babies to break your heart! Between that, the addition of bilirubin lights to Matilda, I didn't sleep and I decided that for everyone's sake we needed to start supplementing with formula, and keep pumping to hopefully soon swap their formula bottles for pumped breast milk bottles. With this I can get help with their feedings, and more than an hour of sleep! Well, Grandma fed both girls for the 10:30/11:00 feeding and they both took 30 ml! Yeah!!!! Their IV's were dropped down in 1/2! Then Dad and Papaw did their 1:30/2:00 feedings and they took close to the same. After this, Matilda's IV blew again. Fortunately, we did not need to redo the IV, and she just needs to continue to eat well to remain hydrated! I beleive we will be removing Madelynn's IV here pretty soon as well. Sooooo, we are getting close here!
Jaundice:
Not surprisingly, Matilida has jaundice. She started at about 5 am with one sets of lights. Currently, Madelynn sits underneath the threshold for jaundice, but, I beleive is close to needing the lights. They will keep checking their bilirubin levels until Matilda's comes down (and making sure Madelynn doesn't need to go home). So here are some prayers for good liver action in both girlies.
So when can we go home?!?!? There are hopes for this weekend - but we are not crossing out into early next week.
Well, here's hoping for some good feeds this evening!

Oh one picture:
Matilda under her lights:

No comments:

href="http://lilypie.com">Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker

My Family from WiddlyTinks.com