Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Leaving On a Jet Plane


The girls are officially cross country babies! June 10th, we took our first family plane trip to Los Angeles to visit my family. I was pretty nervous about taking two 10 week old babies on a flight. I perused around the net for tons advice on traveling with infants. The biggest thing was having them sucking on something during take off and landing. We checked the infant carriers (for free!) where you check your luggage, Josh loaded Matilda in the front carrier, and I stuffed Madelynn in her sling. You can take formula through security - and surprise, you can take water through security when you have an infant as well!
Josh said he felt like a celebrity getting through the airport! First, you put a tall guy with a cute little infant in a front carrier and you get tons of "Ah, that's so cute" "Look at the baby."
Then, you add another baby, and people feel the need to stare and whisper! It moved to "Oh look twins!" Add finger pointing, tap the person next to you so they can also see that their are in fact two babies. And people will stop you to talk about them - even the security guards! Josh is a little more introverted, and I think by the last leg of the trip was a little tired of talking about them. I'm not sure I could ever get tired of discussing the twins and what perfect angels they are. Most popular comment "Wow, you sure have your hands full!" My reply "Full of love!"
New fun fact about the rows in airplanes - they each only carrier one extra oxygen mask, so you can't have a full row and 2 infants on your lap! So, Josh and I had to split up for our first leg from Little Rock to Denver. The girls did wonderfully and slept the whole way. One our ride from Denver to Little Rock, they moved the other guy that was sitting with us to another seat and we had the row to ourselves.
This was our first chance to set the girls down in the middle seat. It gets tiring holding a baby for a long time, and with twins, you can't really alternate.
The girls were just as good on the trip home, and we got a bunch of "I didn't even know we had any babies on this flight!"
Overall, despite the nervousness, we couldn't have asked for better behavior from the girls - perfect as always! I look forward to the next time we get to take the girls on the plane, although I am sure it will only get more difficult!

No comments:

href="http://lilypie.com">Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker

My Family from WiddlyTinks.com